Monday, December 19, 2011

Intern Escapades

This post is for all the lovely ladies in Southern California!


{Los Angeles Confidential}
I was so blessed to find an internship in the Editorial Department at Los Angeles Confidential Magazine for this upcoming semester. I am stoked to be their newest Editorial Assistant.  I know how difficult finding a quality internship can be. Paid or unpaid, good ones can be hard to come by. Believe me, I know how disheartening it can be to apply to several and only hear back from one or two.
 
So here is my early Christmas gift to any girls who read this and are looking for a new experience as an intern in magazines, retail, and event planning. The following list includes some internships I've been interested in myself, both paid and unpaid--some of which I have even heard back from, but chose not to interview with because I knew it already conflicted with my schedule.  I hope you enjoy! 

{Master Plans Events and Designs}
Master Plans Events and Designs
Owner: Yingka Chou
Job Description: Work as the lead coordinator's assistant throughout the day of wedding set-up (primarily weekends--late evenings on Friday and Saturday). 
Assist guests and bridal parties throughout the day, decorate reception and ceremony venues, and keep track of event's timeline, etc.
Email Resume: events@master-plans.com
Additional Information: I actually work as an intern with Yingka and write for the MP blog.  I  found the internship to be a huge learning experience. You will have to work hard--setting up many flowers, favors, and chair sashes--but if you're looking for an experience in the wedding industry, Master Plans is a great place to start!

{Orange Coast Magazine}
Orange Coast Magazine
Contact: Jim Walters
Job Description: The company’s unpaid editorial internship program, overseen by Managing Editor Jim Walters, is comprehensive, providing college students instruction in fact-checking, magazine writing, and critical thinking. The program provides students with an up-close look at how a fantastic editorial department works. Internships are limited to applicants enrolled in an accredited college who will receive classroom credit for their work at Orange Coast.
Email Resume: JWalters@orangecoastmagazine.com
Additional Information: I also applied for this internship and heard back right away from Mr. Jim Walters. Unfortunately the timing of the internship conflicted with my other commitments, but it seems as if OC magazine is eager to teach and work with young minds who are excited to work in editorial areas.

{Ruche.com}
Ruche {Clothing and Accessories retailer}
Owner and Founder: Mai Olivio
Job Description: Ruche, a fashion-forward vintage boutique based in Fullerton, Calif., currently has a few different internship positions open: Social Media Intern, Fashion Creative Photoshoot Intern, Set Design Intern, Fashion Photography and Video Intern.  
Email Resume: info@shopruche.com
Additional Information: I applied for the Visual Design Internship a while back and unfortunately heard back from the owner, Mai, after I had already accepted another internship.  However, she seemed very sincere, helpful, and even asked me to reapply later if I still need an internship. I absolutely love the product that Ruche sells--a blend of Anthropologie and vintage finds at a more reasonable price! Ruche was actually founded by both Mai and her husband Josh, be sure to read their adorable 'about us' while scoping out the website!
{LAist}


The LAist (Online News Source)
Job Description: Responsibilities vary widely, hours are flexible, but they do want someone who can be available 2 days out of the week. Interns and Editors will work together for a portion of the time, and at other times you may be working from the comfort of your own home/dorm room or in the field, depending on the tasks at hand. Bloggers, journalism students, photographers, English majors, and anyone with a passion for Los Angeles and the skills to write about it are encouraged to drop us a line.
Email Resume: editor@laist.com (also email relevant information such as availability).

I hope these little tidbits put you in a step towards
the direction of your dream careers! Please contact me if you are searching for something different or just a few more options. These internships are just  a few that I thought would be the most popular:)
Happy Interning!

xoxo, Elissa


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm a lover of sweet notes, thank you for leaving yours! I respond to each one personally via email.