Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Life of a Twenty-Something: Careers

The place where God calls you is where your deep gladness meets the world's deep hunger. (Fredrick Buechner)

{Source}

Earlier last month, I was surprised when my boss called me into his office and offered me a permanent position at Reasons To Believe, the science-and-faith think tank I've been working for (as a temporary copyeditor) these past four months.
 
A few weeks prior I had no idea where God would place me when my contract was up in September, but I was amazingly at peace with it. I had an interview with another company that seemed like an exciting place to work, but also seemed like a risk I wasn't sure I should take. Then, to my surprise, the day of my interview was the same day my supervisor gave me the option to stay and work as a permanent copyeditor. 

I was both overwhelmed and excited. I had been preparing myself to leave RTB in the coming weeks and had finally found peace with the idea of moving forward, to something new. However, I knew that I had just been offered a great opportunity to grow and learn more as an editor. I still interviewed with the other company and felt I presented myself well, but as I waited for an answer, I realized God was telling me to stay at RTB. Once I found that peace, the next day I received a "sorry, we decided to go with other candidates," email from one of the interviewers. I wasn't sad. I was actually relieved. 


It's been about a month since I was hired on permanently at Reasons and, after five months here, I still have a lot to learn. Everyday at work my faith and confidence is challenged in big and small ways. Twenty one years young and navigating the "real world" is a daily reality that both terrifies and thrills me (though, I admit, I'm mostly terrified). 


May my mind be molded by faith, not fear. May God's truth be my daily inspiration to work and live for His glory instead of my own.     


3 comments:

  1. What an amazing blessing and story Elissa! Thanks for sharing. It's encouraging to hear and I hope it continues to work out for you. I love your blog. I need to visit more often for eye-candy and sweet stories like these :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the sweetest! Thanks so much :) I mainly started to get myself writing more, but I have to say, it means so much that you enjoy it too! I'll definitely have more outfit posts in the future (part of the reason why I want the camera!) I'm loving my job, definitely God's work that allowed me to be here. P.S. I think you should start a blog, I think you have an eye for creativity that you need to share! :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Elissa! Sorry I didn't respond until now. It's not like FB and I am not on one now lol. Glad to hear the job is still going well :). You probably already saw my blog by clicking my name, but I mostly just take photos for now. Although, fashion is so fun too.

    ReplyDelete

I'm a lover of sweet notes, thank you for leaving yours! I respond to each one personally via email.