Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Simple & Affordable Luxuries

little luxuries


While I can't afford long days at the spa and exotic vacations, I always look for little things that can help me unwind from a long week or provide a small pick-me-up throughout the day.

1. SLEEP // A typical night's sleep for me is 7-hours long. But, preferably, I'd love an 8-hour night in order to feel my best in the morning. Knowing home much rest my body needs is so important. If I haven't been getting good sleep, my body reveals it in the form of headaches and sore limbs. Now, the best part about this little luxury? It's free! (Disclaimer: So, I'm nowhere near classy enough to use a sleep mask at night, but I thought this gold one above looked so luxurious and soft, I just couldn't resist adding it to the list.) 

2. Sweet Smelling Candles // What's not to love about lighting a lavender vanilla candle while you unwind from a long day at work? Currently I'm working on getting in the habit of lighting a candle, grabbing a warm drink, and sitting in bed to read Scripture everyday. Setting this soothing scene challenges me to rest and relax in the Word and creates an atmosphere that I look forward to coming home to. 

3. Adorable Tea Cups // This may be a personal preference, but I just adore antique pink or gold tea cups. I use them as display and to hold small trinkets, but filling them with my favorite hot drink (chamomile tea or coffee) always makes my daily routine just a bit more whimsical and fun. 

4. Luscious Lipgloss // Adding a pop of color to your lips is an instant face brightener. Swiping on some Bobbi Brown lip gloss is something I regularly do that not only completes my beauty routine, but in some small way gives me an added boost of confidence. 

5. Gel Manicures // While getting a manicure once a month is a bit of a budget stretch for me, I try to fit it in when I can. There's just something about the look of freshly painted nails, typing away at a keyboard that brings me joy (remind you I'm a copyeditor). My regular salon charges $25 for a gel manicure (with a brief arm massage), which can last between 3 to 4 weeks. 

6. Fresh Flowers // My roommate has gotten into the habit of buying fresh white flowers to disperse around the apartment. She purchases one medium sized bouquet and separates it into three small vases to spread around the living room and kitchen. The bouquets, usually white daisies, never cost more than $5 and can last for up to three weeks. Fresh flowers can be a budget splurge, but definitely add to the appeal and happiness in your home. 

7. Tea Time // Though I'm also a coffee drinker, tea has become an essential part of my daily routine. As a woman, one of my favorites is chamomile as it drastically cuts down bloating on those days that, well, we'd rather not be a woman. Chamomile tea is both soothing and non-caffeinated, so you can drink it all day without the jittery veins and anxiety that coffee sometimes brings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm a lover of sweet notes, thank you for leaving yours! I respond to each one personally via email.